Blue lotus is becoming very popular lately. Beautiful and exotic, this aquatic plant native to Egypt is gaining a lot of attention thanks to its properties. But maybe because of that same exoticness, people often wonder about the best way to use this plant. Hence, in this post we have put together the best ways to consume blue lotus. But we will also discuss blue lotus effects and the appropriate dosages.
What does Blue Lotus Do?
Back in the Ancient Egypt, roughly 4,000 years ago, people along the Nile river used to consume blue lotus in ceremonies, as an aphrodisiac, or even as an ornament. It was so popular, that you can find a lot of art featuring blue lotus. In fact, blue lotus was the symbol of the god Nefertem. And even the tomb of pharaoh Tutankhamun was covered by blue lotus! Unfortunaly, blue lotus (Nymphaea caerulea) is now almost extinct in Egypt. Nevertheless, this plant still grows in the Indian subcontinent. Therefore, you can easily buy blue lotus products at many stores.
In today’s world, blue lotus’s popularity is growing quickly thanks to its calming and psychoactive effects. These properties come from the plant’s main compounds: apomorphine and nuciferine. But what does blue lotus do?
- Fights stress and helps relax: Blue lotus is praised for its calming properties that will help you ease your mind and relieve stress.
- Fights insomnia: This plant also has sedative effects that may help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Promotes euphoria: Because apomorphine is a dopamine agonist, blue lotus can also induce a euphoric state and improve your mood.
- Alters your consciousness: Many people consume blue lotus to alter their consciousness for spiritual or religious purposes.
- Induces lucid dreams: Using blue lotus may help you have more vivid dreams. And it may even help lucid dream.
- Acts as an aphrodisiac: Blue lotus’s compounds may be useful in erectile dysfunction. Moreover, blue lotus can also promote disinhibition. And that may also improve your sex life.
Now, the next step is to know how to consume blue lotus. We explore the different options below.
Popular Ways to Consume Blue Lotus
There are different ways to consume blue lotus. However, before using this herb, you should be aware of this side effects. The side effects of blue lotus are:
- Undesired psychoactive effects, including hallucinations
- Increased heart rate
- Hot flashes
In most cases, these side effects are the result of high doses. Hence, it is very important to use the right dosages. What is the recommended dosage of blue lotus?
- Blue lotus flowers: 2-5 grams. This amount applies both for dried flowers and regular powder (not extracts).
- Blue lotus extract powder: 0.25 grams. This amount will depend on the potency of the extract.
Also, when using blue lotus, you should avoid:
- Driving or operating machinery
- Mixing it with other psychoactive substances
- Mixing it with medications, such as antidepressants, anxiolytics, or painkillers
And now, let’s take a look at the most common ways to consume blue lotus.
Blue Lotus Tea
Simple and quick, blue lotus tea is the most common way to consume blue lotus. You just need water and, of course, blue lotus. Of course, you can use blue lotus dried flowers, blue lotus powder, or blue lotus extract. In any case, make sure you use the right dosage.
In order to make blue lotus tea, just add your blue lotus to 250 ml of boiling water, remove it from the fire and let it brew for 5-10 minutes. Then, strain the blue lotus flowers or power and add honey or sugar if you want it sweeter.
Blue Lotus Wine
Another common way to consume blue lotus is to make a blue lotus infused wine. The process for this blue lotus wine is very simple:
- Grind 20-30 grams of blue lotus flowers, but do not turn them into powder.
- Put the flowers in a mason jar
- Pour a bottle of red wine to cover the blue lotus flowers
- Close the jar and shake vigorously
- Store in a dark, dry place and shake once or twice a day
- Let it sit for one or two weeks
Tip: do not use a fancy, expensive wine for this beverage. The blue lotus flowers would actually spoil its taste, so it is not worth it.
Blue Lotus Tincture
You can also make your own blue lotus tincture. The process is more complex than making blue lotus tea or wine. However, you will get a very potent form of blue lotus. And once you have your tincture, you will only need a few drops. Hence, tinctures are another way to consume blue lotus.
If you want to make blue lotus tincture, you will need blue lotus powder or flowers and alcohol (ethanol). A 40% alcohol is the best options for your blue lotus tincture. You can read the full recipe here.
Smoking and Vaping Blue Lotus
Can you smoke blue lotus? Now, this is a controversial topic. While some users consume blue lotus by smoking it or vaping it, smoking is not recommendable. Smoking blue lotus will increase its psychoactive effects. But smoking not only will damage your lungs, but it will also increase the risks of side effects. Moreover, vaping blue lotus can be dangerous if you do not know how to prepare the juice properly. Therefore, we do not recommend smoking blue lotus.
Other Ways to Use Blue Lotus
As we have seen, you can consume blue lotus tea, wine, or tincture. But there are other ways to use blue lotus. You can make blue lotus incense and oil to enjoy its aromatherapy properties. Both incense and oils will help you relax after a busy day. Moreover, a massage with blue lotus oil not only will it be calming and pleasant, but it may also have benefits for your skin.