Millions of people consume kratom to fight pain or cope with opiate withdrawal. However, kratom has many other uses, which is why it is gaining popularity in the fitness world. In this article, we will explore one question that arises between fitness people who are considering using kratom: can I use kratom for bodybuilding?
Why do People Use Kratom?
Kratom is the name commonly given to Mitragyna Speciosa, a tree in the same family as coffee native to Southeastern Asia. Its leaves contain a set of alkaloids and other flavonoids that have pain-relieving, energizing, and relaxing properties. That’s why so many people have started using kratom powder —made of kratom leaves that have been dried and ground into a powder.
And what do these people use kratom for? The uses of kratom include:
- Pain relief
- Anxiety relief
- Ease the symptoms of depression
- Energy booster
- Fight insomnia
- Improve concentration and motivation
- Cope with opiate withdrawal
But you still may be wondering if you should use kratom for bodybuilding.
Can I Use Kratom for Bodybuilding?
Will kratom help you build muscle? While there are few proper studies on kratom, none of them is focused on kratom for bodybuilding. And kratom per se does not seem to have any muscle-building properties. That said, kratom may still provide you with many benefits when it comes to bodybuilding and muscle building. In fact, thanks to its many properties, kratom can be an excellent ally if you want to build muscle.
What are the benefits of using kratom for bodybuilding?
- Energy boost: Kratom will help you build stamina and get an energy boost. Therefore, you will be able to endure working out routines better (and longer). Moreover, kratom can be an excellent alternative to energy drinks. And thanks to its relaxing effects, it will not make you nervous or jittery.
- Motivation: Did you know that kratom can also increase motivation? Yes! Kratom users report that this plant increases their motivation, so they feel more encouraged to develop activities. And those activities include working out. Hence, kratom may help you feel less lazy.
- Appetite control: Taking kratom can reduce your appetite. Thus, you will feel less hungry. That is, if you are on a diet and want to lose weight, kratom could help you eat less and even keep a healthier diet.
- Pain relief: Kratom is often praised for its analgesic properties. Thousands of people consume kratom to manage pain. Therefore, if you consume kratom before your routine, your muscles will ache less, so you will be able to endure strength exercises.
How to Use Kratom for Bodybuilding
There are different methods to take kratom, such as kratom tea, the toss and wash method, or kratom capsules. You can also add kratom to smoothies, juice or yogurt (as well as to other different recipes).
Also, there are some steps and recommendations that you should follow if you want to use kratom for building muscle:
- Use low doses: Kratom is stimulating at low doses but sedating at high doses. Therefore, you should always use low doses, that is, between 2 and 4 grams of kratom powder.
- Take your kratom around 30 minutes before you start working out: The onset of effects of kratom usually occurs between 30 – 40minutes, so you should bear that in mind if you intend to use kratom for building muscle. Also, the effects last for about 3 hours, so you should not need any extra dosage during your routine.
- Drink a lot of water: One of kratom’s side effects is dehydration. Therefore, you should drink plenty of water to prevent it. Moreover, kratom can also cause constipation, and drinking liquids is a good way to avoid it.
- Use white or green kratom strains: White strains are the most energizing ones. White Thai and white Maeng Da kratom are arguably the most stimulating strains for most users. Green Malay is also praised for its energizing effects. In any case, avoid red kratom strains, as their properties are usually relaxing or even sedative. If you want to learn more about the different kratom strains, we recommend you read this post.
- Do not mix kratom with energy drinks: Kratom is a very energizing substance. Therefore, mixing it with another energy product can be too much. Energizing drinks can often make you jittery. Furthermore, they usually contain high amounts of sugar or artificial sweeteners, which may damage your health.
- Avoid high doses: If you want to use kratom only for bodybuilding, high doses are not recommendable. While low doses help you increase your stamina and feel more active, high doses promote relaxation and sedation —not so recommendable for working out.
Kratom Side Effects
Despite its wide range of benefits, kratom also has side effects. In many cases, they are due to high doses or frequent intake:
- Dizziness and headaches
- Nausea or stomach upset
- Eye wobbles
- Loss of libido
Of course, not all users experience these side effects, but if you want to prevent them use low doses and avoid taking kratom every day. By doing this, you will also avoid kratom tolerance, which occurs when you need to increase your dosage of kratom to feel its effects.
Where Can I Buy Kratom?
Even though you can find kratom at local headshops, buying kratom online seems a much better option. By buying your kratom online, you will find many more choices regarding kratom types and strains. Moreover, according to many users, online kratom vendors usually provide better quality products. But before buying kratom for the first time, make sure you buy kratom from a reliable kratom vendor. Look for reviews on Trustpilot or similar websites and contact the vendor if you have any question. You will often find that it is not possible to pay with a credit card. Sadly, that is absolutely normal, since credit card processors have stopped working with kratom vendors.