One of the main cons of kratom is its taste. Many users complain of the bitter, earthy taste of this herb, which is far from nice. In fact, most of these users agree that kratom tastes awful. Thankfully, there are many ways to mask kratom’s taste. If you want to take a kratom tea, but you cannot put up with its taste, the combination of kratom and rooibos can be a nice —and healthy— way of improving the taste of your tea. Moreover, rooibos can also bring great benefits to your health. In this post, we will explore all the benefits of mixing kratom and rooibos.
Main Uses and Effects of Kratom
The use of kratom has skyrocketed recently thanks to properties and effects. According to the American Kratom Association, nearly five million Americans consume kratom regularly to cope with different ailments and conditions. Kratom contains more than 40 alkaloids that can trigger the following effects:
That is why kratom users consume this herb to:
- Relieve pain
- Alleviate the symptoms of depression
- Relax and fight stress
- Relieve the symptoms of anxiety
- Fight fatigue and get a boost of energy
- Boost productivity
- Cope with social anxiety
- Improve focus and concentration
- Enhance mood
However, despite all the therapeutic benefits of kratom, there is also a lot of controversy surrounding this herb. Kratom alkaloids —such as mitragynine or 7-hydroxymitragynine— act by biding to the opioid receptors. However, kratom does not cause respiratory depression and is not an addictive substance (although frequent use and large doses can result in kratom tolerance). Having said that, kratom can have side effects and some of them can be very unpleasant.
The side effects of kratom are:
- Headaches and migraines
- Drowsiness and numbness
- Eye wobbles
Using low to moderate doses and avoiding taking kratom every day is key to prevent side effects. Also, it is very important to buy kratom from reliable vendors to guarantee you are getting fresh, high-quality kratom powder.
Why You Should Mix Kratom and Rooibos
Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) is a bush in the Fabaceae family indigenous to Southern Africa. The word rooibos means red bush in Dutch (rooibosch). Since rooibos does not contain caffeine, it has become a popular alternative to tea.
Thanks to the sweet, woody flavor of rooibos, the combination of kratom and rooibos will help you mask the unpleasant flavor of kratom. But this combination has other benefits that have to do with the therapeutic properties of rooibos:
- Antioxidant properties: Rooibos’s compounds have great antioxidant effects. Hence, taking rooibos regularly may protect your body from free radicals.
- Immune system booster: Thanks to its polyphenols, rooibos can also boost and improve your immune system.
- Cardio protector: Rooibos can also protect your heart.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: One of the best advantages of mixing kratom and rooibos is that both plants have anti-inflammatory effects.
- No caffeine content: Unlike tea, rooibos does not contain caffeine. So, if you mix it with kratom, you will not notice any jittery effects.
- Relaxing effects: This herb also has calming and relaxing effects. Moreover, it can also help you lower your blood pressure.
- It protects bones and muscles: Rooibos contains a lot of minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium or iron, that can protect your musculoskeletal system.
As you can see, mixing rooibos and kratom has a great number of benefits. Hence, you can combine these herbal remedies to achieve calm and fight stress, as well as to fight pain and inflammation. Furthermore, you can also add milk to the mixture and make a kratom and make a kratom and rooibos latte. And rooibos makes an excellent base for iced tea recipes. So, if you like your kratom tea cold, you can add rooibos to the mixture.
Other Ways to Mask Kratom Taste
The combination of kratom and rooibos is not the only way of masking the taste of kratom. If you do not like how kratom tea tastes, you can opt for other ingestion methods, such as kratom capsules or the toss and wash method.
Nevertheless, there are other ways to cover the taste of kratom. This is what you can do:
- Applesauce, juice, and yogurt: One of the most common ways of masking the taste of kratom is mixing it with applesauce, fruit juice or yogurt. Since kratom is fat-soluble, the combination of kratom with a dairy product will not damage its properties.
- Kratom smoothies: You can add your kratom dosage to your favorite smoothies. Thus, you can also make a healthy kratom smoothie.
- Cakes and cookies: Kratom powder can be an ingredient for cakes, such as brownies or a kratom sponge cake.
- Soups: Did you know that you can also use kratom for soups? Check our recipes here!
Additionally, you can also mix kratom with other herbs, such as ginger, chamomile or peppermint. Keep reading our blog to find more information about the best kratom combinations and kratom recipes that you will love.