With so many kratom types and strains available, it is no wonder that users often feel overwhelmed. What are the best kratom strains? What does each of them do? In this post, we will explore one of these kratom strains: Sumatra kratom. Keep reading to learn it all about the properties and effects of this strain.
What does Kratom Do?
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is an evergreen tree indigenous to the humid forests of Southeast Asia. This tree is native to Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia. In fact, Indonesia is the main kratom producer and exporter.
Native farmers handpick the leaves of M. speciosa. Then, they dry them and finally grind them into the fine powder that you will find when you buy kratom.
And why are these kratom leaves so special? The leaves of kratom contain alkaloids that act on your opioid system. Just like you have a respiratory or a digestive system, you also have an opioid system. This system contains endogenous opioid peptides (such as endorphins) and opioid receptors that are activated by those peptides and by external substances. And as you can guess, opioids and opiates are some of those external substances that activate the opioid receptors. But there are other products that bind to the opioid receptors. Some food proteins, dark chocolate, and of course kratom alkaloids can also activate the opioid receptors.
Kratom contains more than 20 alkaloids, but arguably the most important ones are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. The former is the most abundant kratom alkaloid. The latter, while is not so abundant by far, is an incredibly potent alkaloid that is even more potent than morphine. But since the content of 7-hydroxymitragynine is so low, it is not dangerous. However, due to its potency, you should avoid kratom that has been adulterated to contain high levels of this alkaloid.
When kratom’s alkaloids bind to the opioid receptors, the response is a series of effects that range from analgesia to relaxation, stimulation or even euphoria. Thus, kratoms users consume this plant for:
- Relieving pain
- Coping with anxiety and depression
- Fighting fatigue and getting an energy boost
- Relaxing and combating stress
- Fighting insomnia
- Enhancing mood
Kratom Types and Kratom Strains
There are several factors that impact the effects of kratom that people feel. One of those factors is the dosage. At low doses, kratom is more energizing and euphoric. On the other hand, at high doses, kratom is more relaxing (even sedating if you are not cautious with your dose). But the kratom type that you consume, will also affect the effects.
There are three main types of kratom, depending on the color of the leaf’s midrib and veins: white, red, and green kratom types.
- White kratom: These strains are usually the most energizing and stimulating. People also favor white kratom for its euphoric effects. And while kratom strains may not be the best choice to cope with anxiety, some users suffering from social phobia report that this kratom type actually helps them be more sociable. Due to its energizing effects, kratom users prefer to consume white kratom early in the morning (and avoid it in the evening and at night).
- Red kratom: If you are looking for a kratom strain that helps you sleep better or relax and relieves pain at the same time, a red kratom strain is likely your best call. Red strains are praised for their relaxing effects. However, you must be very careful with both the dosage and the strain you choose, as these strains can be sedative. Kratom connoisseurs usually agree that red kratom strains are the best ones to cope with pain.
- Green kratom: Are you looking for a type of kratom that covers the whole spectrum of effects? Then, go green! Green kratom strains are relaxing, euphoric, analgesic, and even stimulating. So, what’s the catch? Well, green kratom strains are not so strong as the red and the white strains. Nevertheless, green kratom is still a great choice. Moreover, if you are new to kratom, green strains are arguably the best types to begin.
But other than the three main types of kratom, we also find sub-varieties or strains. For instance, you can find red Indo kratom, green Malay kratom or white Maeng Da kratom. The number of kratom strains is very large, which can lead kratom newbies and not-so-expert users to confusion. Especially since each kratom strain may have its own set of effects. Let’s explore one of these kratom strains: Sumatra kratom.
Properties of Sumatra Kratom
As you may guess, Sumatra kratom grows in Sumatra, one of Indonesia’s largest islands. Thanks to its humid, tropical climate, Sumatra is home to many plant families and animal species, such as the famous Sumatran tiger. Among these plants that Sumatra holds, you will find Mitragyna speciosa. So, if you ever decide to enter the luxuriant forests of Indonesia, you may find kratom trees growing near the riverbanks. And who knows? Maybe even some local farmers harvesting kratom leaves!
And what are the properties of Sumatra kratom? This kratom variety is not extremely potent –but it is still very potent. And thanks to its long-lasting effects, it has made its way in the kratom community. Users highlight its analgesic and sedative properties, which are due to Sumatra kratom’s high content of 7-hydroxymitragynine. Thus, Sumatra kratom is a good option if you want to alleviate pain and fight stress.
White Sumatra kratom is praised for its energizing and euphoric effects at low doses. But at high doses, this white kratom strain can also bring about relaxing and even sedative effects.
Red Sumatra kratom seems to be a very potent analgesic. And because of its sedating properties, it can be a very good ally if you also need to fight insomnia. However, due to these sedative effects, you must be very careful if you decide to try red Sumatra kratom.
How to Use Sumatra Kratom
Because this kratom strain can be very strong, you should be very careful with the dosage. If you opt for using red Sumatra kratom, remember that high doses can end up in undesired sedation and drowsiness. White Sumatra kratom, on the other hand, can also bring about sedative effects at high doses. Therefore, you should be cautious until you get the exact effects that you are looking for. We recommend you write down your kratom experiences, including effects and dosages, to learn which dosage works best for you.
In general, we can say that doses between 2 and 4 grams are mild. Between 4 and 5 grams of kratom powder, the doses are moderate, while doses higher than 5 grams are usually large doses. Of course, this may vary depending on the kratom batch, your weight or how fine the powder is. But you can still use these numbers as a guide.
And what about you? Have you ever tried Sumatra kratom? What do you think about this strain? Please let us know in the comment box! We’d love to hear your opinion!