Kava or Piper methysticum is a plant native to the Pacific islands, where has been used in social ceremonies for hundreds or even thousands of years. Traditionally, to enjoy the relaxing effects of the plant, the native people of the Polynesian regions prepare a drink with the root of the plant. Today, the kava drink remains popular in these areas, where it’s even offered to high personalities visiting the islands.
In recent times, kava’s popularity has increased in the US. In fact, there is an ever-increasing number of kava bars throughout the country, where kava connoisseurs and newbies gather to experience its effects. Additionally, many headshops and online vendors offer kava powder to enjoy comfortably at home. However, kava has a downside to it: its preparation method. For some, preparing kava the traditional way is a bit hard and time-consuming. If this is your case, don’t worry, there are other ways to prepare kava without all the kneading that the traditional way requires. In this article, we’ll show you how to prepare kava with an Aluball.
How to Prepare Kava (Traditional Method)
To prepare a kava drink the root of the plant must be ground into a powder. This powder contains kavalactones, which are responsible for the euphoric and relaxing effects of the plant. But, to be able to feel these effects, the kavalactones must be properly extracted. And, to achieve this, you must use a method of preparation which requires a certain technique.
To prepare a kava beverage the traditional way you’ll need a strainer bag (or cheesecloth) and a big bowl. First, you must place the strainer bag in the bowl and pour warm water and a couple of tablespoons of kava powder. Then, let it sit for a few minutes to allow the powder to be absorbed into the water. After this, you must squeeze and knead the bag for a few minutes to make sure that you extract all the water inside. This water is the kava beverage that you’ll later drink.
Why Use an Aluball?
As we said above, preparing kava the traditional way requires certain skills, and not everyone has the time or the desire to learn how to do it. But the good news is that there is an alternative and easier way to prepare your kava beverage at home: using an Aluball.
Although preparing kava using the traditional method or using an Aluball won’t have a big impact on the benefits and effects of your drink, it is believed that you’ll be able to extract kavalactones more efficiently with the traditional way. However, choosing one method or the other will depend on the user’s preferences.
How to Prepare Kava with an Aluball?
What is an Aluball? If you are an expert kava user, you’d probably know this device. An aluball is a device that will help you prepare your kava drink without the mess of the traditional preparation.
The device has 2 components:
- A small ball (Aluball) that you can open in half.
- A bottle (Alubottle).
So, in order to prepare your kava drink you’ll need to follow the below steps:
- Open the ball and put your kava powder dose inside. Then, close it tight. Typically, the Aluball can hold 2-3 tablespoons of kava powder. However, if you are new to kava it is better to start with a lower dose (1 tsp).
- Place the ball inside the bottle and pour water inside. The water shouldn’t be cold, it is recommended to use room temperature water. The amount of water will depend on how concentrated you want your drink to be. The more water you use, the less concentrated your kava will be. However, you should fill no less than half the bottle, otherwise, the ball might crack it. Then, close the bottle tight with its lid.
- Then, shake the bottle vigorously (but not aggressively) for a few seconds (no less than 30 seconds).
- Finally, remove the lid from the bottle and pour your kava drink in a cup or glass and enjoy!
Moreover, if you don’t like how kava and water taste like, you can use whatever drink you prefer to prepare your kava beverage. Some people like to prepare it with pineapple juice.