Fibromyalgia is one of the most common conditions that affect your muscles and bones. The causes of fibromyalgia are not completely clear and sometimes it is even hard to diagnose. Nevertheless, it is a chronic condition that causes pain, fatigue, and even mental issues.
CBD (cannabidiol) is an active compound of cannabis that has gained popularity in recent times thanks to its wide range of properties. Many people suffering from fibromyalgia have started using cannabidiol to alleviate the symptoms of this condition. In this article, we will explore the benefits of CBD for fibromyalgia. Does it help? Or is it just a placebo? Read this post to learn it all about cannabidiol and fibromyalgia.
Causes and Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a condition that affects millions of people in the world. In fact, it is one of the most common diseases that affect muscles and bones. But despite its high prevalence, fibromyalgia is not easy to diagnose and sometimes can be misdiagnosed as lupus or some type of arthritis (or vice versa).
The causes of fibromyalgia are not clear, but the following factors may be involved in the development of fibromyalgia:
- Other diseases (such as arthritis or an infection)
- Depression or anxiety
Also, most of the people who have fibromyalgia (around 80 percent) are women. Many doctors and scientists think that fibromyalgia occurs because some neurotransmitters identify as harmful minimal reactions of your body and trigger painful stimuli.
The symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Widespread pain: The main symptom of fibromyalgia is a constant pain that occurs in different parts of the body. It is often accompanied by tightness, tingling, numbness or burning.
- Fatigue: People suffering from fibromyalgia usually suffer from chronic fatigue and a lack of energy that can sometimes be impeding.
- Insomnia: Insomnia is also a common symptom of fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia patients often have trouble sleeping.
- Depression: While depression may be one of the common causes of fibromyalgia, it can also be a consequence.
- Fibromyalgia fog: Fibro fog, or fibromyalgia fog, is the inability to focus or concentrate that many people with fibromyalgia experience.
Moreover, people who have fibromyalgia often suffer from other conditions, such as IBS or cystitis.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the major compounds of cannabis. These active compounds are known as cannabinoids, and the most abundant ones are cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is a psychoactive element that is the main responsible for the cannabis’s high. Yet, cannabidiol does not have psychoactive or mind-altering effects. Therefore, CBD will not make you high. Furthermore, CBD products can only have 0.3 percent of THC. Also, cannabidiol products are made with cannabidiol from hemp, which is a variety of Cannabis sativa that has lower levels of THC and higher levels of CBD.
CBD acts by stimulating the endocannabinoid system. Even though you may not be familiar with it, the endocannabinoid system plays a crucial role in many body functions and responses. The endocannabinoid system regulates pain, inflammation, stress, memory and learning, appetite, cardiovascular system, reproductive system, skin, mood, and more. You can learn more about the endocannabinoid system in this article.
By stimulating the endocannabinoid system, CBD may help:
- Alleviate pain
- Reduce seizures
- Relieve nausea
- Boost appetite
- Improve the symptoms of depression
- Improve skin issues
- Relieve diabetes nerve damage
- Alleviate the side effects of chemotherapy
- Fight insomnia
But can cannabidiol help people with fibromyalgia? What are the benefits of CBD for fibromyalgia? We will discuss it in the section below.
CBD for Fibromyalgia: How Can CBD Help?
The effects and properties of CBD may be very positive for people with fibromyalgia. This is what cannabidiol can do for fibromyalgia patients:
- Relieve pain: CBD analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce pain, which is the main symptom of fibromyalgia. Many people with fibromyalgia report that thanks to its pain-relieving effects, cannabidiol is one of the best products for fibromyalgia.
- Fight insomnia: Many people suffering from fibromyalgia struggle with insomnia or other sleep problems. Cannabidiol may help combat insomnia. But also, it could help increase your energy levels since it improves your sleep quality.
- Alleviate the symptoms of depression: Unfortunately, many people with fibromyalgia also suffer from depression. CBD may help improve some of the symptoms of depression and boost your mood.
- Relieve brain fog: Cannabidiol also has neuroprotective properties that may enhance your cognitive functions. Hence, another reason for using CBD for fibromyalgia is that it could improve the symptoms of brain fog.
- Increase appetite: Appetite loss is a consequence of fibromyalgia that affects many patients. CBD may stimulate your appetite. Thus, taking CBD for fibromyalgia can also help boost your appetite.
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence on the internet that supports the benefits of CBD for fibromyalgia. You can find plenty of stories of fibromyalgia patients who have found relief in cannabidiol. Many of them are available in fibromyalgia groups in Reddit.
Moreover, one of the best advantages of cannabidiol is that it has very few side effects. However, if you want to use CBD for fibromyalgia, you should bear in mind that this cannabinoid might interact with some medications. The types of medications that cannabidiol could affect include anticoagulants, sedatives, and anti-seizures medications.
More Ways to Relieve Fibromyalgia Naturally
Besides CBD, there are other things that may help you relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia naturally:
- Yoga and Thai Chi
- Relaxation techniques
Nevertheless, if you suffer from fibromyalgia, you should always follow the advice and recommendations of your doctors.