Despite all the news and the bad reputation that some Institutions and Government offices are spreading about the plant, kratom’s popularity has skyrocketed in recent times. For this reason, more and more individuals look for information about kratom’s properties and characteristics. If you are new to kratom and are looking for information about the plant, you’ve probably come across real stories of people who claim that kratom has helped them achieve a better life. And, maybe you have considered giving kratom a try to see if it can help you. Are you a kratom newbie and wonder what all the fuzz about the plant is all about? If this is your case, keep reading below to learn what you should know before using kratom for the first time.
Where to Buy Kratom?
Although it may seem obvious, the first thing that you should know before using kratom for the first time is where to buy it. Since kratom is not a regulated herb, there are many vendors who may take advantage of customers. For this reason, it is extremely important that you do your own diligence and investigate thoroughly about the vendor.
Typically, kratom is sold in headshops and online. However, users buy mostly online due to the prices and the number of products available. But, before buying kratom online, you should follow some simple tips to make sure that the vendor is serious:
- Look for online reviews and check the vendor scores in independent reviews sites, such as Trustpilot or Yelp.
- Try to find out for how long the vendor has been in business. Do not trust vendors that haven’t been around for too long. However, consider that kratom is relatively new in our market, so more than 4 years will be enough.
- How does the site look? If the site looks poorly designed or maintained, you should stay away from it.
- Avoid buying from individuals who sell kratom powder in sites such as eBay, Facebook or Instagram.
- Look at the vendors’ policies. Pay special attention to the returns policy, if they have one or not, etc.
- Do not trust prices that seem too low in comparison to other vendors. Due to the difficulties that vendors face when importing kratom, it is an expensive product.
Finally, consider that not all kratom vendors offer the possibility to pay with a credit card. But, contrary to what you may think, this doesn’t mean that the vendor isn’t reliable. In fact, kratom has been classified as a high-risk product by credit card processors. For this reason, it is not possible for kratom vendors to offer this option to their clients (or at least, not for a long time). Also, due to this, kratom vendors can’t offer payment alternatives, such as PayPal.
What Are Kratom’s Effects?
Kratom became popular a few years ago thanks to its capacity to relieve the symptoms of opiate withdrawal. For this reason, many individuals turned to kratom as an alternative to synthetic opioids, since the plant doesn’t have the negative effects of opioids. But, with the years, people have discovered other kratom properties and have started to use the plant for many other purposes. The main effects of kratom include:
- Analgesic and pain-relieving
- Anxiolytic, calming and relaxing
- Stimulating and energizing
- Euphoric and mood-enhancing
But how is it possible that the plant can be calming and energizing at the same time? This depends largely on the strain used and the dosage is taken. Keep reading below to learn about these subjects.
What Are the Best Kratom Types?
As we mentioned above, the effects and properties of kratom depend largely on the strain and dosage. If you are new to kratom and you are considering using it, the first thing you should be aware of is that each strain has its own particular properties. There is no best kratom type in general, but there will be the best kratom type for you. So, it is very advisable to look for the right one for the condition that you want to relieve.
Although each type and variety have their own set of effects, a good point to start is by learning the primary effects by kratom color. There are three main kratom colors, which take their names from the color of the leaves, namely:
- Red vein kratom. This is probably the most popular variety and it’s mainly used to ease pain and to achieve calm and relaxation. Additionally, it’s the favorite type among those seeking to relieve insomnia.
- White vein kratom. The most energizing and stimulating of all three types is favored by those looking for an energy boost to face their daily tasks. Some people compare the energy kick of kratom to that of coffee. In fact, both plants belong to the same family.
- Green vein kratom. Although this type is the less popular, many users find the effects of the green varieties more well-rounded and it’s a sort of middle ground between the other two.
However, consider that the above is just a general rule and each color has different varieties with different properties. So, before using kratom for the first time, investigate further to discover which type will be the best for you.
What Is the Recommended Kratom Dose?
As we said, kratom’s effects may vary depending on the dosage that you use. But mind that there is no general rule as how to dosage kratom. Nevertheless, it is safe to say that lower kratom dosages tend to be more energizing and stimulant and higher doses are more calming and relaxing. To experience kratom analgesic properties, moderate to high dosages are preferred.
On the other hand, if you are using kratom for the first time, it is recommended that you always start at a very low dose. Typically, new kratom users will need to start at 1-2 grams dosage to avoid experiencing unwanted effects, such as dizziness, eye wobbles or nausea. Then, the dose can be increased gradually every day or couple of days until you start noticing the desired effects. However, consider that you should avoid going over 8 grams since this is a very high dose.
How Should You Take Kratom?
Typically, you can find kratom in the market in powder form. This powder is made after crushing, drying and grounding the leaves of the kratom tree. Although you can find kratom in capsule, extract or tincture form, you should stay away from them if you are new to the plant. The reason for this is that extracts and tinctures are stronger formats and you could experience side effects. On the other hand, although capsules may seem convenient in the beginning, you don’t know the dosage that you are ingesting. So, for kratom newbies, regular kratom powder should be the format of choice.
There are various popular ways to ingest kratom powder:
- Toss n’ wash. Basically, it consists of ingesting the powder directly and help it wash it down with water or juice. But mind that this method should be avoided if you are prone to nausea, as it is not easy to perform without gagging.
- Kratom tea. Simply boil water in a pot and pour it in a glass or cup. Then, add your powder dose and stir well until properly mixed.
- Mixing the powder with sweet food and ingest it. Applesauce is the preferred sweet food to mix kratom with for many users.
On the other hand, you should totally avoid smoking or snorting kratom. The reason for this is that these consumption methods are not only less effective, but they can be dangerous.
What Does Kratom Taste Like?
Finally, if you are using kratom for the first time, you probably wonder what it tastes like. The answer to this will depend on the person you ask, in fact, there are users who don’t mind kratom’s taste so much. But the general opinion is that it tastes bad. Mostly, kratom’s taste is described as earthy, muddy or simply disgusting. For this reason, many people use sweeteners to try to cover the flavor. Some sweeteners that can mask kratom’s taste include:
- maple syrup
Finally, remember that kratom won’t cure any disease and that it is extremely advisable that you don’t mix it with dangerous substances, including prescription drugs, alcohol or over-the-counter medicines.