Everybody is talking about kratom these days. Well, maybe not everybody, but surely it has become a trendy topic. But what are the reasons behind kratom’s popularity? Why is kratom so popular? In this article, we will explore why kratom has become such a popular product. Is it only because of its uses and effects? Or are there more reasons behind kratom’s popularity?
What Is Kratom?
Kratom is an evergreen tree native to the humid lands of Southeastern Asia. Its botanical name, Mitragyna speciosa, refers to kratom’s most abundant alkaloid, mitragynine. Just like coffee, kratom (or Mitragyna speciosa) is in the Rubiaceae family.
In the humid lands of Indonesia, native farmers handpick the best kratom leaves and dry them using different processes. Once the kratom leaves are dry, the farmers grind them into a fine powder which is finally exported all across the world (or at least to those places where kratom is legal).
The leaves of kratom contain mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragynine, and other alkaloids that act on your opioid receptors. These receptors are part of your opioid system and regulate mood, pain, stress or appetite. Despite their name, the opioid receptors are not activated only by opioids or opiates. Actually, there are many other substances that act on these receptors or on other elements of the opioid system, including milk proteins or kratom alkaloids.
Why Is Kratom So Popular? Reasons Behind Kratom’s Popularity
There are many reasons behind kratom’s popularity. Nowadays people use kratom for different reasons, such as relieving pain, coping with an addiction or managing the symptoms of anxiety or depression. But why do these people choose kratom over other alternatives?
- (Un)availability of conventional medication: There are millions of people who cannot access the medications that they need to cope with their problems. For example, thousands of Americans are being denied prescribed opioids. This fact is often the result of an arguably mistaken policy that seeks to decrease the number of overdose deaths.
- Natural remedies becoming mainstream: Maybe you should not wonder why kratom is so popular but “why are natural remedies so popular?” The number of people looking for natural alternatives grows by the hour. There may be very reasons behind this new trend, including the belief that natural is better (and safer) and a growing distrust of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Kratom works: People who consume kratom have found out that this herbal product does work for them. Kratom can help them relieve many health issues thanks to its wide range of effects. So, its effectiveness is one of the main reasons behind kratom’s popularity.
But it is the wide range of kratom effects that has made this herb so popular. Because of its effects, millions of people have turned to kratom to cope with many conditions and health issues.
Kratom Effects and Uses
On acting on the opioid receptors, kratom can bring about many effects:
- Analgesia (or pain relief)
Moreover, kratom users also report that this natural product also helps them improve focus and concentration.
Thanks to these effects, millions of people use kratom to:
- Relieve pain
- Cope with anxiety and depression
- Manage the symptoms of opiate withdrawal
- Fight fatigue and get a boost of energy
- Improve mood
- Increase focus and concentration
Best Ways to Take Kratom
There are many ways of taking kratom and which one is better will depend solely on you and your personal preferences.
- Kratom tea: Quite likely, this is the most common way of consuming kratom. It allows a quick onset and may prevent some side effects (such as stomach issues). On the negative side, it does not taste good.
- Toss and wash: Many kratom users opt for tossing and washing kratom because of the quick onset that it allows. It may be a bit difficult at first, though.
- Kratom capsules: Using kratom capsules is arguably the most convenient and easiest way of taking kratom. However, kratom capsules are more expensive than kratom powder and making your own capsules may be a bit cumbersome. Moreover, the onset will be slower, since your stomach needs to digest the capsule that contains the powder first.
- Kratom recipes: You can add kratom to yogurt, applesauce, smoothies, or add it to many different recipes. Adding kratom to your recipes will allow you to cover its taste.
Kratom Side Effects
Even though kratom is a safe substance if you use it properly, you should take some precautions to avoid side effects. While not dangerous, kratom side effects can be very unpleasant:
- Stomach upset
- Headaches and migraines
- Eye wobbles
The best way to avoid kratom side effects is by being cautious with the dosage (you can learn more about kratom doses in this post) and avoiding using kratom every day. Additionally, you should also avoid using kratom every day, not only to avoid side effects, but also to prevent kratom tolerance (which would imply using larger doses to notice the effects of kratom).