Although kratom was introduced in the US a few years back, there are many people who don’t know what the plant is about. Mitragyna speciosa is a botanical from South East Asia that people use for many purposes, including pain and anxiety management, as a source of energy and euphoria, and for sleep promotion. Although kratom is obtained from a tree, this doesn’t mean that you can use it without care. Like every other herb, you must be careful when using kratom to prevent unpleasant side effects. The good news is that there are some easy things that you can do to use kratom safely. So, let’s explore the most important kratom safety measures.
What Should You Know Before Using Kratom?
No matter if you are new to kratom or if you have been using it for a long time, there are some things that you should know before using kratom:
- Kratom is the popular name for Mitragyna Speciosa, a tree that grows in some areas of southeast Asia.
- To obtain kratom, kratom farmers pick the leaves from the Mitragyna speciosa tree. Then they will process them to obtain the different kratom strains.
- Kratom contains alkaloids, which are the chemical constituents of the kratom leaf. Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine are kratom’s main alkaloids, but it contains many more. The alkaloid composition is responsible for each strain effects.
- When using kratom or a specific strain for the first time, you may experience some discomfort. But it will go away after your system gets used to the plant.
- Kratom strains are different and have different effects. So, make sure to research before buying to find the one that’s right for you. This blog can help you find the best strain. You can also find useful information on forum sites, such as Reddit or the American Kratom Association forum.
Dangers of Unsafe Kratom Consumption
Although kratom is a safe product when used correctly, there are some dangers if you use it the wrong way. Here are some examples of kratom side effects:
- Dry mouth
The good news is that these side effects will disappear if you follow kratom safety measures correctly. So, let’s see them below.
Kratom Safety Measures
So now that you know kratom’s side effects, let’s see how to prevent these and other problems with these kratom safety measures:
Know Your Strains
As we mentioned above, different alkaloid contents will result in different properties and effects. Each kratom variety has different alkaloid content, so not all kratom is the same.
When researching kratom, you should ask yourself this question first: What would you be using kratom for? As you know, kratom can be used for multiple purposes, including opposite effects, like energy or relaxation. Obviously, you should not expect to achieve relaxation from energizing strains or energy from a relaxing variety.
As a rule of thumb, you must know that colors matter. So, keep in mind that:
- Red strains are typically relaxing and are best in the evenings.
- White strains are more energizing, so they will work better in the mornings.
- Green strains are a middle ground between the other two, so you should research them well before you buy. But this color holds some of the best strains for newbies.
Although colors can give you a clue on what to expect, each different strain within the color might be slightly different, so research, research, and research. And then, buy.
Find Your Dosage
Probably, the most important of all kratom safety measures is using the right dosage. Although finding the right dosage might seem difficult at first, it is crucial that you do this exercise, especially if you are using kratom for the first time. Using the right kratom dose will help you prevent unpleasant side effects and tolerance.
So, where to start? There is no general rule for this, however, the answer is simple: Always start low. You can increase your dose if you feel it doesn’t work until you find the right one for you.
If you are new to kratom, you should start on 1 gram. If this doesn’t work, you can increase your dosage by 0.5 grams each time until you find your perfect spot. But always keep it as low as it’s comfortable for you.
Use the Right Consumption Method
There are various methods to kratom consumption, and all of them are equally effective. But don’t even try to snort it, inject it or smoke it. Those are not only dangerous but also ineffective. Like most herbs, kratom is better absorbed when you ingest it.
You can toss and wash kratom, mix it with sweet foods or beverages, or drink kratom tea. If you feel nausea using one of these methods, simply change your kratom consumption method until you find the one that is easier on your stomach.
If you are prone to nausea, you should avoid taking it on an empty stomach.
Finally, don’t mix kratom with dangerous substances. Also, you should avoid using potentiators, as you might end up absorbing a larger amount than your average dose.
Store Kratom Correctly
Like any other natural product, kratom can degrade over time. Stale or old kratom will loose effectiveness. Also, if you find mold in your kratom, you should throw it away, as mold is a dangerous thing.
So, store kratom correctly to maintain its freshness. Here are some tips for kratom storage:
- Keep it away from direct light.
- Store it in a dry cool place.
- Use air-tight containers to prevent oxidation. A simple mason jar will do.
- Label your jars with the storage date.
Buy from a Reputable Source?
This is another one of the most important kratom safety measures. Finding a right vendor can make a big difference. So, make sure that you always buy from the best place. Here are some tips to find the right vendor.
- If you are buying online, explore the website. Ask yourself this question: Does it look professional?
- Choose vendors that have been around for a few years.
- Have a look at their returns policy.
- Find out if they have good customer service.
- See if they lab-test their products.
- Stay away from vendors whose products look too cheap.
- Research vendor reviews from independent sites, such as Trustpilot.
- Trust your gut, if the place looks bad, it’s probably bad.
What to Do If Kratom Safety Measures Don’t Work?
If the safety measures don’t work, then kratom is probably not the solution for you. But if you still think that kratom might be a solution, we recommend that you head over to online forums to ask other users about your problem. Most likely, someone has gone through the same situation and will be able to help!