If you are suffering from sciatica, you may be wondering about using kratom for sciatica. But does kratom relieve sciatic nerve pain? What are the best kratom strains for sciatica? In this post, we will discuss these questions so that you can figure out if kratom is good for your case.
Causes and Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica refers to a pain that irradiates throughout the sciatic nerve. That is, from your lower back all through the back of your leg and even to your foot. Usually, sciatica will affect only one side of your body.
Sciatic pain occurs when something is pressing or pinching the sciatic nerve. It is a common ailment when a disk is herniated or worn down. But there are other causes, such as osteoarthritis, an injury to the lumbar spine, or piriformis syndrome. Also, obesity, diabetes, a sedentary life, smoking, or twisting the back often might increase the risks of suffering from sciatica.
Symptoms of sciatica include:
- Pain on the rear, the hip, or the leg
- Tingling, weakness, or numbness down the leg
The intensity of sciatic nerve pain may vary, but on some occasions, it can be impending. Traditional treatments for sciatica include anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and even steroid shots. However, physical therapy is also very important to alleviate sciatic nerve pain. But what about kratom? What are the benefits of using kratom for sciatica?
What Is Kratom?
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is a tree in the Rubiaceae family —the same as coffee, native to the humid jungles of Indonesia, Thailand, or Vietnam. For many generations, the local population of Indonesia or Thailand used to chew the fresh leaves of kratom to get an energy boost or to cope with pain. But during the first half of the 20th century, kratom became illegal in many of these places. However, today there are many efforts to legalize kratom again.
Due to legal restrictions in other countries where kratom grows, Indonesia is the main kratom exporter in the world. In Indonesia, local farmers harvest the best kratom leaves and leave them dry. When the kratom leaves are dry, the farmers grind them into a fine powder. Finally, that powder is exported abroad, where local kratom vendors will package them and sell them to the final user.
Properties and Effects of Kratom
The popularity of kratom has skyrocketed in the last decade thanks to its multiple effects. But before listing the effects of kratom, let’s talk about its compounds. Kratom contains a large number of chemical elements, including over 40 alkaloids. However, the effects of kratom come mainly from two of these alkaloids: mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. Both these alkaloids activate the opioid receptors in your body, triggering a range of effects that include:
- Pain relief
Thanks to these effects, many people have found in kratom an ally to:
- Relieve pain
- Get an energy boost
- Fight fatigue
- Combat insomnia
- Relieve the symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Reduce stress
Moreover, kratom also seems an effective product to cope with the symptoms of opiate withdrawals. Also, this herb is a great choice to improve focus and increase drive and motivation.
Thanks to its analgesic effects, kratom is helping thousands of people suffering from acute or chronic pain. Indeed, this tree is now a natural remedy to cope with arthritis, fibromyalgia, lupus, or joint pain. Therefore, the use of kratom for sciatica has grown in the last few years. And many people suffering from sciatic nerve pain have turned to kratom as an alternative to relieve pain.
Different Types of Kratom
If you want to buy kratom for sciatica, you will find that there lots of strains. So many, that choosing a kratom strain for sciatica can be overwhelming, let alone if you are new to kratom. Therefore, before choosing your strain, let’s explain the basics of kratom strains.
There are three main types of kratom:
- Red kratom: Red strains are usually the most relaxing and sedating.
- White kratom: These strains are more energizing and euphoric.
- Green kratom: Green kratom strains can be both energizing and relaxing, but they are usually less potent than the white and red types.
These types of kratom also have different sub-variants or strains. Hence, you can find red Thai kratom, green Malay kratom, or white Borneo kratom.
But what is the best kratom for sciatica?
Best Strains of Kratom for Sciatica
Many users agree that red and green kratom strains work best for sciatic nerve pain. In fact, green strains are often a favorite choice when coping with sciatica. However, you can find plenty of green and red strains, so which one should you use? These are some strains that might help you cope with sciatic pain:
- Green Maeng Da: This green strain is not only analgesic but also highly energizing. Therefore, green Maeng Da is a great choice to fight sciatica during the daytime. Moreover, it also has uplifting effects.
- Green Malay: A classic green strain that is a favorite for many kratom users, green Malay is a very versatile strain. It is very good to cope with moderate pain and also to get an energy boost and to lift your mood.
- Red Kali: If sciatica won’t let you sleep, red Kali may be the best choice for you. This red strain is praised for its analgesic and relaxing effects. Actually, it is also a great kratom strain for insomnia.
- Red Maeng Da: Unlike other red strains, red Maeng Da (or RMD) is stimulating and uplifting. And of course, RMD will help you relieve pain.
- Red Bentuangie: While not as popular as other strains, red Bentuangie is one of the strongest variants to cope with pain. Therefore, we must include this strain in the list of best kratom for sciatica.
Side Effects of Kratom
Choosing the best strains may not be enough if you want to use kratom for sciatica. Using kratom cautiously is key for success. Even though kratom is a safe substance, its side effects can be very unpleasant. What are the side effects of kratom?
- Dry eye
- Headaches and migraines
- Stomach issues
- Eye wobbles
- Dizziness and vertigo
On the other hand, using kratom regularly can result in building up tolerance. If your body builds up tolerance to kratom, its compounds will eventually stop acting on your body. And the only solution is to increase your dosage. But eventually, larger doses will not work either.
How to Use Kratom for Sciatica
Fortunately, there are some things that you can do to prevent side effects and tolerance while using kratom for sciatica:
- Drink a lot of water: Drinking water will help you avoid dehydration, dry eye, and constipation.
- Eat high fiber foods: Constipation is a very common side effect of kratom, but you can prevent it by eating foods that are rich in fiber.
- Avoid large doses: Increasing your kratom dosage may sound tempting. However, large doses can result in side effects and tolerance. You can learn more about kratom dosages here.
- Do not use kratom every day: By using kratom every day chances are that you will build up tolerance very quickly.
- Be careful with extracts: Kratom extracts are concentrated forms of kratom that are much more potent than powder. However, it is easier to suffer from side effects when using extracts. Also, if you are a new user, you should avoid kratom extracts.
- Avoid using kratom on an empty stomach: If you have a sensitive stomach or suffer from nausea easily, you should not take kratom on an empty stomach. Using kratom on an empty stomach indeed brings a quicker onset. However, it is not recommendable in all cases.
- Do not mix kratom with other medications: There aren’t any studies about kratom interaction with medications. Therefore, you should avoid using kratom if you are using medication for sciatica.
In conclusion, using kratom for sciatica can be good to cope with pain. However, there are certain precautions that you should take. Thus, you will be using kratom safely and avoid side effects.