Autoimmune disease is a major health problem that many people suffer nowadays. In fact, this type of disorder ranked #1 in a top 10 list of most popular health topics requested by callers to the National Women’s Health Information Center.
Scientists know more than 80 autoimmune diseases, including diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Many of these types of diseases have no cure and people who suffer from them must undergo treatment for life.
Although lupus is not the most prevalent autoimmune disease, many people suffer from it today. The Lupus Foundation of America estimates that more than 1.5 million people in the US and more than 5 million people worldwide suffer from this condition.
In recent times, we have seen reports from lupus patients who claim that kratom has helped them ease some of their symptoms. We have looked further into this subject and below is what we have found out.
What Is Lupus?
As we said, lupus is an autoimmune disease that affects many individuals worldwide. Autoimmune diseases are pathologies in which the immune system becomes an aggressor and attacks and destroy organs and healthy tissue.
There are 4 types of lupus:
- Systemic erythematosus lupus, which is the most prevalent, affecting 70% of all lupus patients.
- Cutaneous lupus, which only affects the skin.
- Drug-induced lupus, which is caused by doses of certain medications and will usually disappear after discontinuation of the drug that caused it.
- Neonatal lupus which affects the fetus, but typically disappears after the child is born.
Systemic erythematosus lupus or SLE, which is the most common form of the condition, is a chronic and systemic rheumatic disease. It can affect multiple organs and systems, including joints, muscles, skin, kidneys, lungs, and heart. The cells of a lupus patient attack the system cells causing inflammation and tissue damage.
SLE can affect anyone, but it’s more prevalent among fertile women (20-40 years).
Lupus: Causes and Symptoms
The causes of SLE are still unknown, but since it is an autoimmune disease, it is believed that several factors may affect the condition, including:
- Viruses may trigger the condition, but more factors are needed to develop the disease.
- Genetic factors may also have an influence since lupus patients often have family members with autoimmune conditions. However, it is unclear which gene is responsible for this condition.
- Environmental factors, such as medication and UV light (sun exposure).
- Hormones, especially estrogens, might play a role in this condition.
Patients with SLE have different symptoms, some of the most common are:
- About 90% of lupus patients experience joint pain and inflammation. Many individuals experience joint stiffness in the mornings.
- 80% of patients experience the so-called “butterfly rash”, which is a rash on the skin of the cheek and nose.
- 25% of patients may experience heart conditions, such as pericarditis and pleuritis.
- Respiratory deficiency.
- In 45% of the cases, SLE affects both kidneys causing kidney inflammation.
- Blood-clothing problems.
Many of the above symptoms are also symptoms of other diseases, which can make it harder to diagnose.
Kratom for Lupus: Does It Work?
So, now for the big question: does kratom for lupus work? Unfortunately, there’s no research on this subject. So, once again we must rely on anecdotal evidence to be able to come up with a conclusion.
First of all, you must bear in mind that kratom is no cure for any disease. Instead, it helps relieve the unpleasant symptoms of many illnesses. And, one of kratom’s most important properties is that it provides pain relief. Moreover, kratom is especially effective in providing relief associated with inflammation in autoimmune diseases such as fibromyalgia and arthritis.
On the other hand, some lupus patients have reported pain reduction and mood improvement after using kratom. Many of them also claim that they are now able to conduct a normal and productive life again. Especially educating is this testimonial published in the Pain News Network website.
How Does Kratom Work?
Like opioids, kratom acts directly upon your opioid receptors that are located in your nervous system. It is believed that mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, along with other kratom active compounds bind to the Kappa and Mu receptors of the brain. This may produce some of the following effects.
On the other hand, kratom has a different effect depending on the dosage. Whilst it is more stimulating and energizing at lower doses, it is more relaxing at higher doses, and it can even be sedating at too high doses. However, although this is true in most cases, the kratom type or variety also plays an important role regarding the effects. So, if you are planning to use kratom for lupus, it’s important to do some research first to decide which variety might be the best option for you.
How to Use Kratom For Lupus?
The first thing you must consider if you are planning to try kratom for lupus is the strain choice. Not all kratom varieties are suitable for all purposes, so we recommend you do some research before you buy it. A great place to start is in discussion forums, like the American Kratom Association forum and Reddit. You can ask other kratom users, which varieties have worked for them.
If you suffer from lupus, you will probably want to try a kratom variety with good analgesic effects. Some of the most suitable strains for pain relief are:
- Red Bali
- Red Maeng Da
- Green Malay
- Red Borneo
On the other hand, bear in mind that kratom is most effective when ingested, so stay away from other “fancy” methods of consumption. Typically, you can ingest kratom on the following fashions:
- Eat the powder directly washing it down with water or juice (toss and wash)
- Use the powder to prepare a tea
- Take kratom capsules
- Mix it with sweet foods
Finally, remember to start low and increase the dosage until you find your sweet spot. But, consider that every person is different and there’s no general rule regarding this matter. However, it is recommended not to exceed an 8-gram dose, as this would be too high.