Today, many individuals have turned to kratom as a remedy for many ailments. Kratom users report that the plant has helped them manage anxiety, pain, opiate withdrawal, stress, and insomnia. Additionally, kratom’s energizing properties are enticing to people who look to get an extra kick of energy throughout the day. But if there is a downside to kratom, that’s probably its price. As you may know, due to the environmental conditions that it needs to grow, kratom can’t be sourced locally. For this reason, vendors must establish relationships with growers and distributors in South East Asia to be able to bring kratom to America. And, many times, importers must face problems to access their shipments, i.e.: tons of products stopped at the customs. All of this increases the price of the plant dramatically. That’s why some individuals want to get more for less and use potentiators to increase kratom’s effects. But although this may seem tempting, it is not always recommended to mix kratom and potentiators. Probably, one of the most popular kratom potentiators is grapefruit. But is the kratom and grapefruit mix safe? Learn all about it in this article.
Many people drink grapefruit in the mornings as part of a balanced and complete breakfast. And this is a very healthy habit. Grapefruit is a great source of vitamins, especially vitamin C, which plays a key role in our health. Grapefruit and citric fruits, in general, contain antioxidants to keep our system young and functioning.
Although grapefruit is a great food choice, not everyone should consume this fruit, as it contains furanocoumarins, chemical compounds that interact with the metabolization of drugs and medications. People who are on prescribed medications that could interact with grapefruit most probably know about the dangers. But many individuals don’t know about this issue.
So, what are the most common grapefruit interactions? Generally speaking, you shouldn’t mix grapefruit and the following substances together:
- cholesterol-lowering and blood pressure-lowering drugs
- heart medications
- chemotherapy drugs
- estrogen-balancing drugs
The above are just some examples of medicines that interact with grapefruit, but there might be more, so remember to ask your doctor when he puts you on medication.
Why Shouldn’t You Mix Kratom And Grapefruit?
There is no research about the interactions between kratom and grapefruit (or at least none that we know of). However, evidence shows that kratom and grapefruit may interact together.
Many kratom users report that they have noticed an increase in kratom’s effects after mixing it with the fruit. Although this might seem tempting, this is a mix that should be avoided at all costs, as it could have serious side effects.
On the other hand, despite the lack of research on this subject, we know that kratom and anxiolytic medicines affect our system in a similar fashion. Both types of substances act on the brain receptors that are in charge of relaxation. For this reason, it is safe to say that mixing kratom and grapefruit may have similar consequences as mixing it with anxiolytic drugs.
What are the consequences of mixing kratom and anxiolytics? The mix may provoke an overdose and serious side effects, including:
- kidney failure
- gastrointestinal bleeding
- respiratory failure
Moreover, if you are not cautious with it, mixing grapefruit and certain medicines can even result in sudden death.
Tips to Use Kratom Safely
Despite kratom’s popularity, many individuals don’t know how to use it safely and end up making mistakes that could provoke unwanted side effects that could be potentially dangerous. For this reason, it is very important for you to research before using kratom for the first time (or even if you are an experienced user) to avoid any issues. Below, you’ll see some tips to use kratom safely:
- Use the right kratom type. Different varieties may have different effects. So, make sure you research before you buy to get the right type for your specific purpose.
- Always measure your dose. Like any other herbs, kratom should not be used without caution. If you are new to kratom, start on a low dose and increase until you find the one that works for you. But make sure that you don’t go above 8-gram dosages, as they are considered too high.
- Buy only from reputable sources. Don’t trust too cheap kratom from unprofessional-looking sites or from shady vendors on eBay. To find a good vendor, research first and look for reviews online.
- Don’t mix it with other substances. Like any other herbs, kratom may interact with drugs, foods or medications. Some known kratom interactions include cough suppressants, anxiolytics, painkillers, and over-the-counter analgesics, and, of course, grapefruit. In general, you should avoid using kratom together with any substance that is used for the same purpose of kratom.
- Don’t mix kratom and alcohol. And, of course, don’t mix it with illegal drugs!
Finally, remember that using logic is key and, as the old say goes “better safe than sorry”. So, if you are not sure if a certain substance may affect the way kratom acts, simply don’t mix them.