Winter is over, the sun is shining up in the sky and you go on diet to try to lose all the weight that you gained during the wintertime. Does this ring a bell? If the answer is yes, you probably are one of many people who do the same year after year. On the other hand, many people have to struggle with weight gain their whole lives. And, no matter if you belong on the first group or the second, you’ve probably have tried many diets, and remedies to try to lose weight effectively and permanently. There are many products in the market that promise to help you achieve this purpose, but not all of them are equally effective.
Recently, kava, a root used traditionally in ceremonies across the South Pacific islands, has become very popular in our country. Although it is not its main purpose, some individuals have reported weight loss after using kava for some time. But how effective is kava for weight loss? Does it work? Let’s explore it below.
How Does Kava Work?
Like any other herb, kava, botanical name Piper Methysticum, contains several active constituents that are responsible for its properties. Kava’s main active compounds are called kavalactones and are mainly present in the plant’s root.
Kavalactones facilitate the action of the GABA receptors of the brain. One of the purposes of these receptors is to control the fear or anxiety that someone feels when their neurons are overexcited. That’s the reason why you will experience a sense of relaxation after drinking a cup of kava.
On the other hand, research has found that kavalactones might have neuroprotective properties. This suggests that kava may have the potential to treat various nervous system conditions.
Kava for Weight Loss: Does It Work?
After reviewing the way kava works on our brain, it is unclear if kava can be an aid to lose weight. In fact, there is no specific research regarding this subject. However, anecdotal evidence suggests some potential of kava for weight loss.
So, does kava cause weight loss? There is no clear answer to this question, and it will vary depending on who you ask: some kava users will tell you that they lost a ton of weight after using kava, whilst others say that they haven’t noticed any difference.
So, why does kava produce weight loss in some individuals? Although, as we said, the answer is not entirely clear, there are 2 factors that seem to be present in most users who have lost weight on kava:
- stress reduction
- alcohol intake reduction
As we said, kavalactones have calming effects. For this reason, people who use kava typically experience relaxation and peace of mind. Stress and anxiety are, in many cases, triggers to excessive and compulsive eating. Whilst on kava, people won’t feel the need to eat so much.
On the other hand, most kava users report a reduction in their daily alcohol intake. Although many individuals don’t consider it a cause of their weight gain, alcoholic beverages contain many calories. So, cutting down on alcohol is one of the main reasons why kava users lose weight.
So, although it doesn’t seem that kava and weight loss are directly connected, drinking kava can help you lose weight by keeping healthier habits, such as eating smaller portions and reducing or quitting alcohol.
How to Lose Weight Safely
Now that we have established that kava can help you lose weight by helping you keeping healthier habits, let’s learn some other tips and natural remedies to help you lose weight safely:
Tips to Lose Weight
If you want to lose weight safely, there is no miraculous diet. Instead, you should follow some rules that will help you maintain a healthy weight for life. Let’s see them below:
- Exercise regularly. Although eating healthy will help you lose some extra-pounds, regular exercise will help you burn calories faster. At the same time, regular exercise will help you maintain a healthy system.
- Avoid junk and ready-made food. Use fresh vegetables, meat, and fish and cook at home.
- Eat slowly, this will not only help better digestion, but you will give your brain time to perceive that you are full.
- Be patient, don’t weigh yourself every day and try to not get frustrated. Losing and keeping a healthy weight takes time so don’t get frustrated if you don’t see immediate results.
Natural Remedies to Lose Weight
Following the tips above will help you lose weight effectively. Additionally, you can use some herbs that can help you too. Some of the most popular are:
- Green tea is known for its antioxidant properties. Additionally, it can help you lose weight by helping you get rid of excess fluid and fat that might be accumulated in your system.
- Red tea stimulates your system and helps digestion. On the other hand, it helps reduce fat and bad cholesterol.
- Dandelion helps detoxify your liver and kidneys and has diuretic effects, which will help you lose excess fluid.
- Horsetail is also known for its diuretic properties. It’s also a great aid to eliminate toxins.
Now we would love to know about you. How has been your experience with kava and weight? Have you experienced any differences in your weight since you drink kava? Let us know in the comment section below!