Many people suffer from insomnia and sleeping problems sometime in their lives. Although having one or two rough nights is not a big issue, when insomnia gets chronic it can cause more serious conditions. For this reason, it is highly recommended to consult with a doctor if you suffer from insomnia for a long period of time. Additionally, there are some popular herbs, such as valerian root or passionflower that can help you achieve good sleep. Kratom is another herb that can help relieve this condition, in fact, many people use it for this purpose (especially those using kratom for pain). So, if you wonder how to use kratom for sleep, keep reading below and find out.
Can Kratom Help You Sleep?
Kratom, or Mitragyna Speciosa, contains many alkaloids with different properties and effects. The two main alkaloids are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, which have similar effects to opioids. So, by binding to the opioid receptors of the brain, they can help you achieve euphoria and energy in low doses, but they can also help relax in moderate to high doses. And, additionally, the sedative effects of the higher doses can help you relieve insomnia.
But are all kratom varieties equally effective to help you sleep? The answer to this is no. Although kratom’s effects depend largely on the dosage, the strain or variety also play an important role in the result. So, let’s find out which varieties are best for sleep and which ones you should avoid at all costs for this purpose.
Best Kratom Varieties for Sleep
Many people who use kratom to relieve pain or anxiety, use the plant to relieve insomnia that is generally associated with those conditions. But not all kratom varieties are suitable for this purpose. Typically, the best varieties to sleep are the red strains, since they have more calming and relaxing properties. And, in higher doses, they can even be sedative. But, let’s see the best kratom types for sleep below:
- Red Bali is one of the favorite types to achieve relaxation and to relieve pain. Additionally, its calming properties are very appreciated by those looking to relieve insomnia. However, mind that Red Bali’s effects don’t last for too long. So, it should be used to fall asleep easier, but not to prevent you from waking up at night.
- Red Borneo is another popular strain for sleep. Its properties are very similar to Red Bali and, like Red Bali, it helps relieve anxiety and pain, as well as insomnia.
- Indo Kratom strains are well known for its calming and sedative effects, for this reason, they are also favored by users who want to relieve insomnia. Premium Indo and Green Indo kratom are two of the best types of kratom for sleep. Additionally, Red Sumatra, which is also an Indo variety can help you achieve this purpose.
Kratom for Sleep: Varieties to Avoid
Kratom not only has calming and relaxing properties, but it also has euphoric and energizing effects. The white varieties are typically the most energizing, so you should avoid them if you want to achieve good sleep.
Other strains that are euphoric and energizing and won’t help you sleep include:
- Maeng Da kratom is a popular energizing and stimulant type so you should avoid it to sleep. Even the red Maeng Da varieties have energizing effects, so you should avoid it too.
- Thai kratom is another popular variety for energy. Like Maeng Da, you should stay away from it, including the red veins.
- Super Green Malay has stimulating properties and its uplifting effects can last up to 6 hours. So, you should not use this strain if you want to relieve insomnia.
How to Use Kratom for Sleep: Dosage
As we said, the dosage plays a very important role when using kratom for sleep (or for any other purpose). Remember that kratom is typically more energizing at lower doses, and more relaxing at higher doses. So, higher doses are needed to achieve better sleep. But what is a high kratom dosage? Unfortunately, there is no general answer to this question. Since kratom has not been properly studied and every person is different, the dose will depend on the individual and the kratom type.
Typically, a high kratom dose will start on 6-7 grams. But, if you are new to kratom, it is highly recommended that you start at a low dose to see how your body reacts to it. A low kratom dose will start as low as 1-2 grams. So, you should start low and increase the dosage the following days until you find the desired effect. However, since high doses are needed and finding the right dose is difficult at first, using kratom for sleep is not recommended for new users.
How to Use Kratom for Sleep: Consumption Method
Although there is not the best method to use kratom for sleep, it is obvious that some ways would be more relaxing than others to achieve this purpose. Because who wants to try the toss n wash method and choke on kratom just before going to bed? Not very relaxing, is it?
So, although choosing the best consumption method depends on your preference, a good method of consumption would be to prepare a tea. You’ll simply need to boil some water and pour it in a glass or cup, add your kratom dose, and stir well until it’s properly dissolved (mind that the powder might not dissolve completely, but don’t worry, this is normal). Then, drink the tea before going to bed.
Finally, remember that kratom is a potent herb that might interact with prescription drugs and medicines, so don’t mix it with anything to prevent any dangerous or unwanted effects.