Kratom is becoming highly popular for its many properties and effects. The plant holds energizing, relaxing and calming effects and can be helpful for people looking for ways to combat opioid withdrawal symptoms. But, probably, the main reason for kratom’s popularity is its analgesic effects. In fact, many individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions, such as chronic back pain, arthritis or fibromyalgia swear by its effectiveness.
Although kratom holds great analgesic properties, you should be aware that not all types are equally suitable for this condition. For this reason, if you are considering using kratom for pain it is crucial that you investigate before purchasing kratom. In this article, we’ll give you an overview of the best types and how to use kratom for pain. So, keep reading to learn more.
Is Kratom for Pain Effective?
Kratom, or Mitragyna speciosa, has been used for many centuries in the South East Asian area for many purposes. However, the plant is relatively new in Western countries. In recent times, many individuals looking for an alternative to opioids for pain have found that kratom can help them relieve them greatly, without the problems that opioids have. Nevertheless, kratom is not an opioid.
So, how is it possible that kratom works so well in chronic pain conditions? Although the plant is not an opioid, it has various alkaloids that work in the opioid receptors of the brain, especially in the Kappa and Mu receptors. These receptors are heavily involved in the perception of pain. So, when kratom’s alkaloids bind to them, they will reduce your ability to feel pain. However, contrary to opioids, kratom won’t provoke respiratory depression, which is opioids’ most dangerous side effect.
Best Kratom Strains for Pain
If you are wondering how to use kratom for pain, the first thing that you should consider is which type to choose. Although there is only one Mitragyna speciosa tree, the environmental conditions where it grows, and the harvesting and drying processes result in a wide variety of varieties and effects.
Considering the vein color, there are three main kratom types: red, white and green. So, first of all, you should know that the white types are more energizing and euphoric, so they won’t work so well for pain. Contrary to them, the red varieties are more soothing and calming, so, in general, they will be a good option to use for pain. As for the best varieties, users report that the following typically work well for pain:
- Maeng Da Red (or Red Thai)
- Borneo Red
- Red Bali
Nevertheless, you should always take into account that every person is different and what works for others, might not work for you. So, it is advisable to find a vendor who offers variety packs, so you can try a few to find the one that better fits your needs.
Dosage of Kratom for Pain
Regarding the dosage of kratom for pain, we must say that it is not an easy thing to determine. The reason for this is that there is still not enough research on the plant to give a general recommendation. So, the best thing to do is to start on a low dose and build up until you find your desired effects.
However, people who use kratom for this purpose report that kratom’s analgesic properties start to kick in with moderate to high doses. Consider that a moderate dose would be around 4-5 grams. On the other hand, a dosage of 6-8 grams is considered high, and everything above 8 grams would be a very high dose, so it is not recommended to exceed it. But, as we said, it is better to start on a lower dose and, if that works for you, just stick to it to avoid developing tolerance.
How to Take Kratom?
There are various kratom formats and various methods you can use to take kratom for pain. Choosing the right method for you would depend on your personal preference since all methods work well for this purpose. So, let’s see the most popular methods below:
- Toss and wash method: This is one of the most popular ways to take kratom. However, it is not recommended if you are not used to kratom’s taste, as it’s not the easiest way to use the plant. The method consists of putting your kratom dosage in your mouth and helps it wash down by drinking water or juice. If you are a kratom newbie and want to attempt this consumption method, make sure that you don’t scoop the whole dose at once. Instead, divide your dose into small portions to help you swallow it without gagging.
- Kratom tea: Brewing your kratom powder into a tea is another popular way to enjoy de plant. You’ll simply need to heat water in a pot and add your kratom powder dose to it. Then, let it simmer for a few minutes until you see that there are no powder clumps in the water. Thanks to the heat, this method will help you remove any contaminants that may be present in the powder. Also, you can add sweeteners to your tea to help you mask its taste.
- Capsules: Taking kratom capsules is a convenient way to enjoy your dosage. However, not all vendors offer this format, and it’s not the best way to measure your dose. Nevertheless, making your own capsules is easy and you can always control the dose.
- Kratom tinctures: You can find tinctures and liquid extracts in the market that you can use at home. Typically, you’ll need to place some drops under your tongue to feel kratom’s analgesic effects.
Finally, we would like to hear from you. How do you use kratom for pain? What are your favorite kratom types for pain? Let us know in the comments below!