In today’s fast-paced world, anxiety and stress are increasing among the Western world population. In fact, anxiety is the most common mental illness in the United States, affecting 40 million adults every year. Moreover, anxiety disorders lead to an average of 4.6 work days lost to disability per month. And they can also be a cause for poor social and family relationships, even leading to divorce. For this reason, it is crucial to visit your doctor whenever you feel that you are suffering from anxiety.
Aside from prescription medicines, there are plants that can help you relax when you suffer from anxiety and stress. Some of the most popular are valerian root and passion flower. But, kratom can also be an aid when dealing with anxiety and stress. Although typically people use kratom to help ease pain or to manage the symptoms of opiate withdrawal, many others take the plant to achieve relaxation. In this article, we’ll show you the best kratom varieties to relax and how to relax with kratom.
Stress and Anxiety: Differences
Although sometimes the terms stress and anxiety are used interchangeably, they are not the same. So, first, we must understand the differences between the two:
- Anxiety is a symptom of stress. One of the reasons why anxiety and stress are confused is that the first is a symptom of the second.
- Origin: Anxiety is a reaction to an external threat, and it is typically related to fear and worry. On the other hand, we feel stressed when we feel that we don’t have the skills or the time to complete a task. That’s why stress is typically related to the workplace.
- The symptoms of stress are commonly less intense than those of anxiety. Moreover, stress typically lowers after its cause has disappeared. For instance, if the cause of stress is a task at work, it will go away after you have completed the task. On the other hand, when anxiety occurs without an external stimulus, it is typically persistent.
- Stress typically happens in the present moment. Which means that there must be an external factor which provokes it. So, for instance, you feel stress when you have to do an exam. But, also, you can feel stressed for a longer period of time, for example when you don’t have enough income to pay your bills every month. When you feel stress for a long period of time, it can get chronic. On the other hand, anxiety can arise at any moment.
- Whilst stress appears due to an external stimulus, chronic anxiety is a psychological and emotional condition.
Symptoms and Effects of Stress and Anxiety
Although stress is a normal reaction to a problem, high-stress levels can have negative effects. In fact, stress can cause mental and physical conditions such as depression, heart disease, infections and, of course, anxiety.
On the other hand, symptoms of anxiety include:
- Stomach upset and diarrhea
- Headache and nausea
- Muscle tension
- Dry mouth
- Rapid heartbeat
Anxiety can also lead to social and work problems and can provoke conditions such as depression.
Best Kratom Varieties to Relax
Kratom, a plant from South East Asia, has been traditionally used to help conditions such as chronic pain. Moreover, in its areas of origin, people have used kratom for centuries to help them get the energy to work in extreme conditions and also to achieve relaxation. But not al kratom varieties are equally effective for this purpose. So, what are the best kratom varieties to relax?
First, you must understand that not all kratom strains are the same. So, if you want to achieve relax, you should stay away from white varieties, as they are typically more euphoric and energizing. On the other hand, red kratom is typically more soothing and relaxing.
Some of the most popular kratom varieties to relax are:
- Indo Kratom
- Red Bali
- Borneo kratom
However, consider that if you have acute anxiety episodes, you should visit your doctor and follow their recommendations. As kratom can be also energizing and euphoric, it could provoke the opposite effects to what you are looking for.
How to Relax with Kratom?
You can find different kratom formats in the market. Typically, kratom is sold in powder, capsules or liquid forms. However, kratom powder is probably the best format to achieve relaxation, as it is the easiest to measure.
To consume kratom powder, you can brew it in water to prepare a tea, or you can directly ingest the powder and wash it down with water (toss and wash method). However, if you are a newbie, we recommend that you prepare kratom tea instead of ingesting the powder directly. The reason for this is that kratom’s taste is not pleasant, and the toss and wash method can be difficult to perform.
On the other hand, depending on the dosage, kratom has different effects. And, due to the lack of research, there is no general recommendation on how to use kratom for different purposes. It is generally recommended to start on lower doses and start increasing it until you feel the effects that you are looking for. But remember that the plant is energizing at lower doses, so you must be very careful if you want to achieve relaxation. However, you can consider the following dosages of kratom for relaxation:
- Regular powder: 4-7grams
- Kratom extracts: 2-3 grams
- Ultra-enhanced kratom: 1-3 grams
Finally, remember to be careful when using kratom as large doses can have adverse effects, such as drowsiness, nausea, and stomach upset.