For more than 3,000 years, blue lotus has often been used to relax or to connect with your spiritual self. And while people often use blue lotus orally, you can also use it to make incense. In this article, we will teach you how to make blue lotus incense. The process is easy as pie and all the ingredients and tools that you need are easily available online. By doing your own blue lotus incense, you will be able to add it to your meditation or yoga routines. It also has relaxing effects and will even help you improve your spiritual world and connect to your inner self.
Blue Lotus: What It Is and What It Does
Blue lotus (Nymphaea caerulea) is a water lily originally native to Northern Africa. It is also known as blue water lily or Blue Egyptian lotus. Over 3,000 years ago, blue lotus was a sacred plant in Ancient Egypt, where people commonly used it in ceremonies (including burial ceremonies, since blue lotus flowers were found covering famous mummies) and was also associated with some Egyptian deities. But blue louts was also a natural medication and people used it as an aphrodisiac to boost their love life. This beautiful lily was also part of Ancient Roman and Greek cultures. You can find representations of blue lotus in many artistic objects and references in the literature (including Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey).
Today, people praise blue lotus for its calming and euphoric properties as well as for its effectiveness in promoting physical and spiritual awareness. Nevertheless, blue lotus also has psychoactive effects. That is why, you should be very careful if you want to use this herbal product. But blue lotus also has moisturizing properties that may improve your skin.
The effects and properties of blue lotus come from its main alkaloids: aporphine, nuciferine, and apomorphine, which have anxiolytic and psychoactive effects.
How to Make Blue Lotus Incense
If you are wondering why you should make your own blue lotus incense rather than buying it, the answer is very simple: because it is easy as pie. For this recipe, we are going to use both blue lotus and frankincense, which is a natural resin obtained from Boswellia trees and is a frequent ingredient in incense sticks and cones. However, you can use any other herb of your choice or even blue lotus alone. In any case, we recommend you use powdered herbs, so you will not have to grind them first. We will also use makko powder, which is actually the bark of the Machillus Thunbergii tree and is a common base for making incense sticks or cones. Makko powder serves both as a combustible that will keep your incense burning and as a binder that will hold your mixture together.
While these ingredients were quite “exotic” (that is, difficult to find) not that long ago, today you can find them very easily online thanks to the internet.
- 2 teaspoons blue lotus (you can find blue lotus powder here)
- 1 teaspoon frankincense powder
- 1 teaspoon makko powder
- If you are using dried blue lotus flowers instead of powder, grind them into powder using a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder (it should only take you around 20 seconds).
- Place the frankincense powder and the blue lotus powder in a bowl.
- Add the makko powder and mix gently.
- Add the water very carefully until you get a dough-like texture. You can use an eyedropper so you will not add too much water (you do not want the mix to be too watery).
- Now it is time to make the cones: take a small chunk of dough (like ½ teaspoon) and mold it into a cone-like shape. Do not make them too large! Remember the cones need to dry before using them, and the larger you make them, the longer it will take them to dry.
- You cannot use your blue lotus incense cones right away. First, they need to dry. Place the cones on wax paper and turn them often so every part of them dry. Let them dry for at least 12 hours.
- Once fully dry, they are ready to use.
- To store them properly, place your blue lotus incense cones in an air-tight container.
What Are the Uses of Your Blue Lotus Incense?
You can use your blue lotus incense for many different purposes. Incense is often used for purifying and cleansing your space. People also use incense for relaxation, and it is also used during meditation or yoga sessions. Incense is also a common tool if you are looking to connect to your inner self or for spiritual purposes. You can also use this blue lotus incense just for enjoying its lovely fragrance.